9.23. Error when attaching to Outlook - This object model command is not available in email
User tries to send an attachment to Outlook. They receive an error dialog as follows:
Unable to send files to target. This object model command is not available in email.
This issue can be caused by either a problem with an Outlook addin that the user may have installed, or a corrupted Outlook installation.
Checking for a problem Outlook addin
- Close Outlook
- Hold the Control key down
- Launch Outlook (while still holding the control key down)
- Outlook will launch in Safe Mode
- After Outlook is open, test your attachment. If the problem no longer occurs, then there is an Outlook add-in that is causing problems.
- Remove the problem Outlook addin (either remember what software you recently installed and uninstall it, or use the Outlook COM add-in manager to disable add-ins until you find the culprit).
Repairing an Outlook installation
Outlook 2003: Use Help>Detect and Repair
Outlook 2007: Help>Office Diagnostics
Outlook 2010: Use Control Panel, Programs and Features, select Microsoft Outlook, click Repair
Outlook 2013: Use Control Panel, Programs and Features, select Microsoft Outlook, click Repair